Friday, April 19, 2013

Thailand

So this is a post that's been pending for long. I have always been meaning to update you miss blogs, but I have not been able to pour into you, for a variety of reasons.

Actually I think I should tell you the key one (after all, between a girl and her blog, there are no secrets) - it is tough to recollect the memories of the sober times between all the drunken revelry.

But then I am sure there's enough material for this one post:)

So let me begin with telling you about the 3 cities that I went to - Phuket, Koh Samui and Bangkok.

Phuket: I was quite amazed by the number of Indians that live, run business or travel to this place. Now guilty I am, but I did not do any touristy/traveller thing in the city. I mostly lazed in the hotel - 'Amari Coral Resort', which is located on Patong beach. Given the number of people that inhabit this beach, the resort can be credited for being comparatively secluded. Also the beach front views are awesome.

While in Phuket, I did all things one should do in Phuket- well almost! I indulged in flea market shopping, sampled some weird and some not so weird cuisines,  attended pseudo-boxing matches, scoured through it's narrow lanes, traveled in tuk-tuk's with blaring music and 'dhinchak' lights, and indulged in heavenly massages at the various spas that dot the city's land scape.

The night-life in the city can get debaucherous and nothing is beyond bounds in the city if you are looking for it. I was quite intrigued by the lady-boy culture in the city and picked up a book "Ladyboys:The Secret World of Thailand's Third Gender" and the book did make for an interesting read.

Koh Samui: The city is far less crowded when compared with Phuket and also has a definite air of comparative exclusivity. We stayed at 'buri rasa' resort on Chaweng beach (the most popular beach in the city). As unassuming as the place is from outside, once you step in, it's a world of it's own. We had booked one of their deluxe garden court with a dip pool rooms and I for once did not feel the need to step out. It's exactly what I had imagined a tropical paradise to look like.  

The evenings were spent on the Chaweng beach with unending Mohijtos and divine music for company, at one of the beach shacks.

What I really enjoyed doing in Koh-Samui was beach-hopping on a Scooter. What a lovely way to see the city and it's unexplored roads. It was fun uninterrupted.

Bangkok: Bangkok shopping experience had been sold so much to me, that I had decided that I would do nothing but shop, when in the city. So we wanted to do a quick check-in at the Tower club, Lebua hotel and head straight for shopping. But, once inside Lebua, I quickly realised that shopping would have to wait. The view from the balcony of my 51st floor room mesmerized me and held me captive and for a very long time I was doing nothing but watching in awe, at the city.

The day was spent in the hotel lounge and the evening at the Sky bar. Incidentally, I happened to be at the hotel on the new year eve, and the party scene got really livened up at night. Enjoy- I did!

It was only very afternoon of the day next, that we ventured out, in the city. And then again, I fell to the charms of the 'Grand Palace' and 'Wat Arun'. The palace is magnificent and the artistry is par excellence. Wat Arun and the temple of sleeping buddha are also definite must-visits. Having done all that, in the end I did get to shop to my heart's content at the night market and the Siam Square malls.
What a girl wants is what a girl gets!

Bangla boxing at Phuket

 Beach shack at Koh-Samui with a sand-art sculpture
 Buri-Rasa
 Some more of Buri Rasa

The view from Tower Club, Lebua


 The Grand Palace
 The wall murals
 Wow!




No comments: